Our family is growing in many ways... Growing in numbers, knowledge, parenting skills, growing in love, in our faith, growing our culinary skills (if you can call it that), growing without gluten (some of us), growing green...........

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Life Will Never Be The Same

We've all heard it said so many times - a baby changes your life forever. Well.......yeah. Of course it does. Nothing will ever be the same.

But what gets me is that so many things we do and decisions we make in life have that effect. When I went to college, I changed my life forever. I got married, changing my life completely! Then I got accepted into UNC and had a huge decision to make, along with my family. As we decided to move hours away from our families of origin as we began our new life together on our own in a different state, we obviously did something that changed our lives in incredible ways.

And now we're having a baby. Yes, this will change our lives even more. Even now our lives are already completely different. Our lives revolve around what I can eat, how much the baby is growing, what furniture we will put in the nursery, trying to make sure that Camden doesn't feel too overshadowed by the new baby (yes, already this is something to consider), etc, etc, etc. Our lives are definitely different - forever.

Now I'm not trying to make some point that it is completely ridiculous that people say these things about having a baby. I just think it ironic that they don't say it about the other half a million things that are constantly changing our lives forever. So many of our decisions have this impact, almost on a daily basis, if you think about it. Where we live, where we go to school, whom we marry, where we work, with whom we are or are not friends, the list goes on, doesn't it? We are constantly changing, and adding a baby is just one more thing to add to the list. And once that baby comes, we will continue to change. Our lives might just revolve more around the kids than it does around our own desires. I, for one, welcome these changes, as I welcome the other many, many changes that continue to come our way. Who knows what the next one will be.

No comments: