Our family is growing in many ways... Growing in numbers, knowledge, parenting skills, growing in love, in our faith, growing our culinary skills (if you can call it that), growing without gluten (some of us), growing green...........

Friday, October 21, 2011

Easiest Meal Ever? Close, at least! *Salsa Chicken*

If you're looking for a super easy slow-cooker meal that is healthy, delicious, kid-friendly, inexpensive...this is a great one! This has quickly become one of our favorite meals. I got the original recipe from my friend, Leigh Ann, and have adjusted a little based on how I usually cook. You can use canned items, but we try to avoid them when we can and use either fresh or frozen in place of them. We cook dried beans and freeze in jars that would give us a can's worth at a time. We do use a jarred salsa, but you can use whatever you like. It's one thing I haven't tried making myself yet. ;)

This is supposed to be called Salsa Chicken, but after I somehow kept getting the words reversed and got tired of my 12-year-old correcting me, I decided it would be called Chicken Salsa in our home. I don't know why I never get it right, so we just made the backwards way right. Now I can correct that kid when he says it "wrong," right? Right. I'll use the "correct" name for you, though. We've also made this with turkey leftover from Thanksgiving before. Came out just as yummy!

Salsa Chicken

Only five ingredients!
1-2 lbs chicken breasts
1 can black beans (or almost 2 cups cooked beans)
1 can corn (or couple cups or more of frozen corn)
1 jar salsa
1 block cream cheese

I cut up and freeze chicken when I make my chicken broth, so instead of buying chicken breasts for this recipe, I use that cooked chicken, between 1-2 cups. That means a couple things for me... I can decrease cooking time and there is no need for shredding the chicken as it cooks! I use about two cups of frozen corn, but sometimes I also just use the entire bag. The whole bag of the 365 brand from Whole Foods would be about two cans' worth. I don't use the entire jar of salsa, as we get a rather large jar. Just use however much you want. You can always add more later if you want!

Combine first four ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours, shredding the chicken as you go. 


About a half an hour before finished, add cream cheese. Stir in and let it melt.


Done!

We were in such a hurry to eat this yummy stuff that I didn't even
have time to get a picture of it in a bowl! Everyone loves this here!!
 Looking good! And trust me, it tastes WAY better than it looks! ;) 

We serve this over rice or quinoa (or a mix of both) and eat with tortilla chips. Add some extra veggies and/or fruit on the side. This is a hit with the kids and a surefire way to make sure they eat ALL of their dinner.

Any super easy slow-cooker recipes you want to share? (This is how I got this recipe..by posting and asking for new slow-cooker recipes a while back! And now it's a family favorite that appears often on our menu!)

5 comments:

caroline@carolinecollie said...

I'm glad I found your site (through Lindsey's) and saw this recipe! It looks like something we would love too! I don't have a slow cooker recipe to share but I do make my own salsa sometimes and here's the link to that recipe! http://www.carolinecollie.com/2009/12/creative-christmas-gifts-on-a-budget/

Substituting fresh tomatoes that you've blanched/peeled/chopped will make it a little wetter but I think still yummy. It'll need an extra kick with some crushed red pepper though!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy. The black beans in your picture...r they dried beans? Just wondering.

Daisy @ Our Growing Family said...

Caroline - Thanks for stopping by! You might have to elaborate on which Lindsey...I happen to know a number of Lindseys. ;) Thanks for the link! Looks yummy! Since it's not so chunky, it might make it a little watery, but that might be fine for you! Just depends on what your preference is. :)

Daisy @ Our Growing Family said...

Anon - Yep, I use dried beans. I make a large batch at a time, soaking and cooking them and then freezing them in pint jars. One jar is just a tad more than a can you would buy at the store, which we never mind. Now that we've gotten used to using these beans over canned, I have a hard time using canned beans. Used some canned chickpeas recently in a pinch for my hummus, and the hummus-lovers wouldn't eat it! The taste was completely different. Dried beans just taste fresher and we prefer them. Plus, we try to avoid canned items as much as possible.

Hope you try the recipe. Super easy and it is definitely yummy! :) Thanks for stopping by!

caroline@carolinecollie said...

I somehow just saw your reply, sorry! I think it was Lindsey Jones! I'm glad I saw this because I need to try this recipe...it slipped my mind! I love the soaking/cooking/freezing idea for beans, too. Thank you!!!