Our family is growing in many ways... Growing in numbers, knowledge, parenting skills, growing in love, in our faith, growing our culinary skills (if you can call it that), growing without gluten (some of us), growing green...........

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Breastmilk - More than just lunch...

Earlier yesterday, I had to take Aiden to the dr. Took a while to get him in, but they wanted him to be seen. He had some yucky stuff coming out of one eye and it was swollen. :( He wasn't bothered by it, but it was a Friday, we have pictures coming up on Sunday, and it's never a good sign to have yellow gunk coming out of anything really... So, in we went. The dr said they can't actually test to see if it is viral or bacterial. And it's most likely just something he got from someone in the house, and we're not showing signs b/c our immune systems are stronger. (I tell Camden this ALL the time, reminding him to wash his hands - esp after school! and not get right up in Aiden's face, which he loves to do b/c he loves Aiden like crazy!) And both Ryan and Camden have colds, so.... Anyway, she's about to write up a prescription for eye drops when she turns to me How old is he again? Um, 12 weeks. Yeah, he's too young for drops.

She wheels closer. Props her elbows on her knees, leans towards me, and says Now, you're going to think I'm crazy, but just listen... I already knew what she was going to say. I've heard you can do this for ear infections... So I didn't think she was crazy. She said many people do when they first hear it. Put a few drops of breastmilk into his eye a couple times a day. Yep, folks - it's more than just yummy food for the babies. And guess what - it's almost back to normal. In fact, anyone else wouldn't even notice there was anything wrong. I just do b/c I'm mom.

Just thought I would share.

2 comments:

Donna S. said...

YES! I've heard this too - I'm so glad your doctor was willing to suggest it. :) Behold, the power of breast milk!!

You're a super mom with a super power.

patsy_dee said...

I've never heard this before, very interesting and a good thing to know! I will have to share this!