Our family is growing in many ways... Growing in numbers, knowledge, parenting skills, growing in love, in our faith, growing our culinary skills (if you can call it that), growing without gluten (some of us), growing green...........

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Have you given him a bottle yet???

Ummm - NO.

We haven't.

Are you going to try one soon???

Ummm - Not sure. We're in no rush.

Now, if you want more of an explanation - here it is, briefly. When Camden was a baby, I went back to work part-time (just a few hours a day, a few days a week) when he was three months old. It wasn't long enough to pump, so he just got a bottle during those times, which wasn't much at all. But then at six months old, my milk went away. Was it because of the missed feedings and getting a bottle every now and then? I don't know. But I know I tried everything I could (and everything that was suggested by "professionals") to keep my supply going. Tried pumping - and nothing would be accomplished after way too much time with a pump. Tried feeding more often. Tried it all! It was a difficult time, and in the end, my milk was just gone. I was devasted - totally not ready to give up nursing. Thankfully Camden had no difficulty - it was just Mommy. That's not something one enjoys being forced to give up.

This time around, I'm doing everything in my power to NOT have that happen again. If that means I exclusively breastfeed, so be it. I don't mind. (Yes, it can make other things in life a little more difficult at times, but it's worth it.) We may offer him pumped milk in a bottle eventually, but we don't know when that will be. And we're ok with that. Ryan is on board with this and very supportive. In fact, we don't even HAVE a bottle in the house for him! (Ok, I picked out the kind I want, but the store didn't have the size we needed. It was just in case, anyway, so we're in no hurry to get it.)

Nursing is such an amazing experience - many of you know that and understand the bond that develops and how special that time is. Being able to nurse is something I certainly don't take for granted. Plus, it's so beneficial to the baby, and I intend to nurse Aiden as long as possible.

Just thought I would bring this up b/c some inquiring minds have wanted to know. And I'm sure more will ask. Many understand and even agree, and I'm sure some do not. That's ok (just keep it to yourselves, please). :) But if you want to encourage, comment away!

No comments: