Our family is growing in many ways... Growing in numbers, knowledge, parenting skills, growing in love, in our faith, growing our culinary skills (if you can call it that), growing without gluten (some of us), growing green...........

Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Dear Husband

On the way to a playdate for Aiden yesterday, I was reminded of how awesome my husband is. I'm reminded often, but it's really nice when it's out of the blue or I notice when I'm not looking.

Dear hubby has been filling the gas tank in my car for the past couple years. He does it when I don't even know half the time. He'll go out for an errand and take my car instead. I would say that I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to fill up my own car since we moved to North Carolina in the summer of 2006 - almost three years ago! I would have to think where the gas stations are around here before having to fill up. Maybe I'm spoiled. That's ok, as far as I'm concerned. Is it being spoiled if you are truly grateful and appreciative, though? Because I am.

The great thing about Ryan is that he really pays attention to me and what I want and tries to do everything he can to make my life the best he can. He does this in many ways. Not just the pumping my gas. He washes the dishes that won't go in the dishwasher (most nights). I'm not sure if this is because he knows I don't like to do that chore or because he hates leaving things a mess. Either way, I'll take it as him doing something for me and appreciate it. He fills my water bottle up every night and brings it to my nightstand. He also brings my cell phone to the nightstand (and plugs it up to charge if it needs it). In the mornings, he tries to be really quiet when he gets ready for work so that he doesn't wake me or Aiden. If he finds out on the way home that I didn't get around to dinner or simply don't feel like it, he never complains but immediately thinks of an alternative, whether it be him fixing something quick or stopping to pick up take-out.

I could go on, really. I could also go on about how he isn't perfect and tell you about some of the little things that annoy me sometimes. But the truth is, he pretty much is perfect.

Anyway, I hardly even think to look at the gas meter anymore. A negative side effect, I suppose. I happen to glance at it on the drive to Raleigh yesterday and notice it is completely full. And I am reminded of how awesome my husband is. And I am reminded of how he finds ways to show me all the time that he loves me. Ways that don't shout it or ask for recognition. Ways that are not in-my-face. Ways that are not asking for anything in return. Ways that quietly say he knows what little things will make me smile and will make my life a little bit easier.

No comments: