Our family is growing in many ways... Growing in numbers, knowledge, parenting skills, growing in love, in our faith, growing our culinary skills (if you can call it that), growing without gluten (some of us), growing green...........

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My First Born (and Second!!)

So, here's another one of these things going around on facebook. This one's for the mommies! Thought I would share it here, as well. Enjoy! And hope to see some of yours! (Email, blog, comment, etc...)

This is supposed to be filled out about your first born. I did both kids. :)

1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED???
#1 Not really
#2 Very planned. Very.

2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME???
#1 Engaged. (stupid and young...)
#2 Married

3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS???
#1 We were thrilled! (again…stupid and young)
#2 Thrilled beyond measure

4. WAS ABORTION AN OPTION FOR YOU??
Never.

5. HOW OLD WERE YOU???
#1 19
#2 28

6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT?
#1 Home pregnancy test
#2 My boobs felt different right away; we took a pregnancy test a few days later (had to wait for it to be accurate - and we took one of the "early" ones)

7.WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST?
#1 Pretty sure it was my mom
#2 Camden (Ryan was there with me to read the test and when we had it confirmed at Duke, so no need to tell him)

8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX???
Absolutely. Too much of a planner.

9. WHAT WAS YOUR DUE DATE???
#1 June 29th, 1999
#2 August 10th, 2008

10. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS???
#1 All day, every day through the 5th month.
#2 Same thing, but it lasted throughout the entire pregnancy. Found out I have hyperemesis gravidarum, which is a potentially serious condition that means you get severe nausea/vomiting when pregnant. Was on medication up until the c-section (and then afterwards, too!)

11. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE??
#1 I couldn't get enough Coke (caf free, of course!), and I just loved Jazzman's chicken (those from Winchester will understand). But they weren't cravings really.
#2 Once I had meds and could eat a bit, I wanted pancakes or burgers – something about the breading in the pancakes and then the protein with the meat. I couldn’t eat enough strawberries (hard to find in the winter, but we managed), and I had them for lunch every day for most of the pregnancy. Later I craved other fruits, too – cantaloupe, watermelon. Would love to say how healthy I was eating, but I also ate lots of chocolate cupcakes and brownies…

12. WHO IRRITATED YOU THE MOST?
#1 Nobody really
#2 Rude people that wouldn’t make room for the preggo lady to sit on the bus on campus…

13. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD’S SEX?
Both are boys

14. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE HAVING??
Didn’t wish for either sex. We kind of thought #2 was a girl at first, but we didn’t wish for one more than the other.

15. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY?
#1 Almost 50. It really was all baby, though.
#2 24lbs
(but the end weight was about the same for both!)

16. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER???
Yes – a few each time

17. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW??
Mostly knew. One with #1 was a complete surprise.

18. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY???
#1 All the morning sickness. A month before he was due I had a lot of bleeding and stayed in the hospital overnight b/c I had placenta previa. The baby also always measured large, and the dr kept telling me he would induce labor early... first it was a month, then moved to three weeks early, then two, then one... he was actually induced and born a day before the due date. He was backwards, so I had back labor. And I had gone into labor so quickly that it was all withOUT medication (which had not been the plan). And the baby was too large to have naturally. His head wouldn't fit through. I had an emergency c-section (during which I threw up – the entire time and the days following).

#2 I had bleeding early on, and we were concerned about the placenta issues b/c it was low at first (sign of placenta previa), so I had to minimize all activity for a couple months, but it ended up being ok. Then, I had really bad pelvis and rib problems and had to go to a chiropractor for a couple months. The morning sickness lasted the entire pregnancy but was managed (for the most part) with meds.

19. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH?
#1 Clark Regional, Winchester, KY
#2 Duke Hospital, Durham, NC

20. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR???
#1 I’ve never really counted. Induced the night before...went into labor in the middle of the night...c-section around noon... I pushed for over 2 1/2 hours before they finally realized he was not coming out.
#2 No labor. Planned c-section. This was much better than the first time around.

21. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL???
#1My husband at the time took me in the night before to be induced. We went straight from my Papaw's funeral an hour and a half away right to the hospital in Winchester.
#2 My hubby, my mom, and my older son; my mother-in-law and her boyfriend met us there.

22. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH???
#1 Originally, I only wanted my mom and my husband...but once you're in the process, you don't really care...so my mother-in-law and my friend, Patricia joined in. (I think this was a good form of birth control for Patsy for quite a while!)
#2 Too many to count. My hubby, tons of nurses, pediatricians, a couple anesthesiologists, and the ob delivering.

23. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION???
#1 Emergency c-section. The poor kid couldn't fit b/c his head was too big. Once they made the incision, they started to pull him out then had to push him *back in* and make the cut another inch longer. My scar showed it.
#2 Scheduled c-section

24. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN???
#1 I went into labor too quickly for meds and had to do it naturally. They did end up giving me some morphine b/c I had back labor, but it hadn't kicked in when they decided to go for a c-section. I had a spinal for the c-section. The meds made me very nauseous, and I threw up the entire time he was delivering. I was so sick and throwing up for the rest of the day from the meds, and that’s not so much fun after a c-section.

#2 Spinal for the c-section, plus Zofran b/c we realized I have bad reactions to morphine (why I threw up the first time around). We later found out I have problems with other narcotics, b/c the Percocet they gave me following surgery caused nausea/vomiting, which led to more Zofran being given. The nurses kept telling me I was fine when I said I was nauseous – until they found me on the floor in the bathroom after I got sick and my mother explaining to them how bad it really was. After three days of this, they finally switched my meds but were really uncool about it – once giving me Phenergan that knocked me out, and they let me sleep through getting my nausea & pain meds (so I didn’t get them) and I woke up very sick and in lots of pain. (Like I said, throwing up after having your abs cut open – not fun.) We finally figured it out, but we were not too happy with the nurses for a while… We know what to ask for next time, though!

25. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD'S BIRTHDATE???
#1 June 28 1999
#2 August 6, 2008

27. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH??
#1 10 lbs 15.2 oz (less than 1 oz away from being 11 lbs)
#2 8lbs, 11oz (I actually said “that’s all?” ha! We all expected larger.)

28. DID YOUR CHILD HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS???
#1 Nope....Happy healthy baby boy! He was perfect.
#2 Yes – read here for details (http://daisyryanadkins.blogspot.com/2008/11/aidens-medical-issues.html). He was also jaundiced.

29. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER?
#1 Camden Lee
#2 Aiden Joseph

30. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY?
#1 9 ½ years
#2 6 months

I posted about Aiden's birth here if you're interested:
Brief birthday info with pics.
Our birth story.

Ok - your turn!! Email, blog, whatever floats your boat. If you blog about it, let me know so I can be sure to check it out!

No comments: